Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Well I'd say my time in Japan has been deserving a proper inauguration in true Japanese fashion. I understand that a typhoon is due to strike southern Japan on Saturday (July 14th). I've never been in a typhoon before, but I have to say there is something intoxicating about standing at the precipice of nature's pure power. Its like watching an oncoming thunder storm move in across the lake from the shelter of a boathouse. So yeah, I think it might be a cool experience. I have been making preparations for it, buying enough food for a few days (although it isn't supposed to be much worse than a big wind storm with lots of rain, better to be safe than sorry). And I've also put up wooden storm shudders on some of the windows of the house. Whatever happens, I am grateful for the chance to be here, and relish in all the opportunities this place has to offer, both the good and the bad, and maybe even the bad-ass.

(pictures, sat image of Typhoon, boards over the windows and Nappa soaking up the rays while she still can)

2 comments:

Ryan said...

i recommend purchasing earplugs, the wind can be deafening

Andrew said...

wow. good luck. time to put your house watching skills to the test